The Internet offers a wealth of information about the Kingdom of Wonder and multiple ways of learning about life here, finding work, and connecting with other expats.
- Canby Publications is one of the best and most oft-updated travel resources for Cambodia, produced entirely by Cambodia residents. They offer free guidebooks with excellent maps that can be found in hotels and restaurants in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville.
- Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree forum for Cambodia is a heavily trafficked site featuring advice (and arguments) from backpackers and other independent travelers.
- The Phnom Penh Post is one of Cambodia’s two leading English-language newspapers and offers most of their content online for free (older articles are only available with a subscription).
- The Cambodia Daily was Cambodia’s first English-language newspaper and they have finally gotten online. Although many articles are not available for free, the quality of their writing and reporting is (surprisingly) good.
- Voice of America offers a great source of news about Cambodia. They cover a wide range of controversial topics.
- The Cambodia Herald bills itself as an English-language newspaper managed by Cambodian journalists without foreign involvement.
- The Khmer Times is a new newspaper and website that covers Cambodia and regional news.
Cambodia expat forums and online groups
- Only in Cambodia is a Facebook group where expats share hilarious photos of things that could only happen in Cambodia.
- The Cambodia Parent Network is a Yahoo group with more than 2,500 expats (not all of them parents). It’s a great source for moving sales, buying and selling, and sourcing difficult-to-find items. They also have a Facebook group that is more parent-oriented than the Yahoo group.
- Cambodia Expats Online (also known as CEO) is a new Cambodia expat forum that covers all sorts of breaking news in Cambodia that would be of interest to expats. Popular with long-term expats and newcomers alike.
- Khmer440 is an online Cambodia expat forum popular that skews to the older male Phnom Penh expat crowd, but is a great source of information for any niggling questions you may have about Cambodia.
- The Living in Cambodia forums are run by a Battambang-based expat and cover much that is of interest to those living outside of Phnom Penh. The forums are heavily moderated so they stay on topic and you won’t find the sort of flaming that are common elsewhere.
- Kambo-Pravda is a Cambodia forum for Russian expats (and Russian speakers) living in Cambodia.
- Expats Network Cambodia and Expats in Cambodia are two Facebook groups for expats in Cambodia to get to know each other and share news, events and ideas.
- Find out the latest happenings in Cambodia’s clubbing and culinary world in the Cambodia Restaurants, Pubs, and Clubs Facebook group.
- Buy and Sell Cambodia is a Facebook group for buying, selling, and swapping all over the country, especially popular with Siem Reap expats.
- Cambodia Photography Club is a Facebook group where shutterbugs meet up and share their work.
- Find activities and meet other expats in the Social Network in Cambodia Facebook group.
- Want to know what’s happening around the country? Cambodia Event Network and Cambodia Facebook Event Group will keep you abreast of the latest events.
- Expat Advisory is another useful expat forum in Cambodia. The main Cambodia Expat Advisory page also has news, and user-generated event listings and business listings.
- Battambang Connect is a Google Group for Battambang-based expats. You’ll find listings of upcoming events, for sale and wanted ads, and housing notices for Battambang here.
Kampot and Kep
- The Kampot Noticeboard Facebook group is a good place to find out what’s going on in Kampot and Kep, including housing notices, events, and more.
- Kampot Builders Guide is a new Facebook group and forum for expats in Kampot to talk about private land ownership and home construction.
- Kampot & Kep Classifieds is a Facebook group dedicated to the buying, selling and renting of stuff in Kampot and Kep. Perfect for those moving in or moving out.
- Kumnooh is a great weekly arts guide that is available online or by email subscription offering a comprehensive list of what’s happening in Cambodia’s art scene. Also covers Siem Reap.
- Lady Penh provides weekly listings of events and happenings in Phnom Penh.
- Leng Pleng Gig Guide is Phnom Penh’s live music guide, with listings of live music and DJ gigs around Cambodia, although most listings are in Phnom Penh.
- There are many Facebook groups for expats in Phnom Penh to share information including Expats in Phnom Penh and Expats and locals living in Phnom Penh.
- If you’re looking for great deals or to buy, sell or swap in Phnom Penh, check out Phnom Penh Buy and Sell and Things for Sale and Wanted in Phnom Penh.
- Phnom Penh Housing is a Facebook group that specializing in available properties, apartments and flatshares in Phnom Penh.
- If you like playing or listening to live music, the Phnom Penh Musician’s Collective group is a great place to meet other like-minded souls.
- Phnom Penh Job Alert is a Facebook group with Phnom Penh job postings and help wanted ads for both locals and expats.
- Phnom Penh Hash House Harriers is a group that meets to go running (and walking) together every weekend.
- Nightlife Phnom Penh is a Facebook group that features the latest Phnom Penh clubbing news and events.
- French speaker? Francophones à Phnom Penh is a Facebook group for Phnom Penh’s French expats.
- The Siem Reap Expats Facebook group, which is 4,300 strong, offers events, housing notices, and an opportunity to shoot the breeze with other foreign residents of Siem Reap.
- The What’s Up Siem Reap Facebook group contains event listings to let expats know what’s going on in Siem Reap.
- The Siem Reap Open Forum is another popular Facebook group for expats in Siem Reap.
- Siem Reap Real Estate should be your first stop when house-hunting in Siem Reap. While there are many agents in the group, there are also private landlords that offer great deals.
- Siem Reap Job Posting is a Facebook group with Siem Reap job listings and help wanted ads for both locals and expats.
- Siem Reap Discounts & Promotions is a Facebook group that brings you all the latest sales and deals in Siem Reap.
- For issues that pertain to kids and parenting in Siem Reap, the Siem Reap Parenting Facebook group is a great resource.
- Fitness in Siem Reap is a Facebook group dedicated to fitness, gyms and working out in Siem Reap.
- Siem Reap Photography is for all of the Siem Reap shutterbugs to compare work, offer advice and meet one another.
- For the latest news and expat squabbles, visit the Siem Reap News Facebook group.
- Dining & Drinking in Siem Reap and Siem Reap Nightlife are two Facebook groups that are dedicated to eating out and going out, respectively.
- Siem Reap Business Buy and Sell is a Facebook group for businesses that are looking to buy or sell equipment, furniture, and more.
- The Sihanoukville Expats Facebook group is a place for Sihanoukville-based expats to share information, event listings, buy and sell offers, and housing notices. Note that it does not welcome travel questions.
- There’s a new Facebook group Sihanoukville Real Estate for home and apartment hunting in Sihanoukville.
- If you’re looking for something that you just can’t find and want to sell your old furniture, there’s Things for Sale and Wanted in Sihanoukville for buying, selling and swapping all kinds of goods.
- If you’re trying to find a job in Sihanoukville (or are looking to hire someone), Employment in Sihanoukville is a Facebook group where expats can find work or employees.
- The Sihanoukville Online Forums is the place to go to ask expats and Sihanoukville business owners all of your burning questions about the town and what goes on there.
- Sihanoukville Specials and Events and Sihanoukville Party People are two Facebook groups that will keep you up-to-date on what’s happening in Sihanoukville.
- Nyam Penh is a Phnom Penh food blog that does restaurant reviews with lovely photography.
- My Big Fat Face is another expat food blog about Cambodian cuisine (and parasites).
- LTO Cambodia is a blog containing some amazing stories and observations by a long-term expat in Cambodia.
- Tales From an Expat is written by an British man who traded his 9-to-5 existence for the rice paddies of beautiful Kampot.
- An expat archeologist in Cambodia writes about her work and archaeological projects, including temple restorations.
- Phnom Penh Places is a blog documenting the historic buildings of Phnom Penh, as well as new developments.
- Real Food Cambodia is a blog that covers healthy eating, Cambodia organics, gluten-free diets, and everything else pertaining to “real food.”
Jobs and classifieds
See our complete Job-hunting and professional resources section here.
- Bong Thom Classifieds is the biggest classifieds site in Cambodia and is particularly good for job listings.
- Expat Advisory has some job listings aimed at expats.
- CamHR is a very popular job listing site aimed at Cambodians, but with some expat-oriented jobs as well.
- Top Recruitment is a leading headhunter in Cambodia. They also sponsor an active LinkedIn group, Jobs and Careers in Cambodia.
- HR Inc. is another leading headhunter in Cambodia that works with expats.
- Employee Benefits Management (EBM) is an HR company that offers job listings and a wide range of other services. They also sponsor an active LinkedIn group, HR in Cambodia.
- The American Cambodia Business Council (AmCham) “serves as the voice of American business within the Cambodian private sector” and regularly holds networking events and other activities.
- The British Chamber of Commerce Cambodia holds regular networking events and activities and is a good business resource for expats of all nationalities (not just British).
- Reliefweb Cambodia has job postings by the UN in the development sector.
- Cambodia Professionals is an independent LinkedIn group with job listings and an active network of professionals in Cambodia that are happy to field questions.
- Cambodia Private Sector is a LinkedIn group for professionals looking to enter or already working in Cambodia’s private sector (as opposed to the NGO world).
Teaching in Cambodia
- Dave’s ESL Cafe has a special board for discussion of teaching opportunities in Cambodia.
- Tefl.com occasionally lists good teaching jobs in Cambodia.