How to get a visa for Vietnam in Cambodia

If you’re headed to Vietnam after Cambodia, you’ll need to arrange a visa in advance. The price of getting a Vietnam visa in Cambodia is far cheaper than in Western countries, so you can save a bundle by getting it here.

Vietnam visa

Heading to Vietnam and need a visa? Skip the embassy and head to a travel agent.

At the time of writing, the following countries are able to visit Vietnam without a visa:

• 15 days: Germany, France, Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Japan, South Korea
  • 21 days: Philippines
  • 30 days: Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Indonesia

If you aren’t from one of these countries, you will need to get a visa for Vietnam in advance. If you apply in your home country, it can cost two to three times the price as if you apply for a visa at the embassy in Phnom Penh or at the Sihanoukville or Battambang consulate. However, the fees at the embassy and consulates are about the same as what you’ll pay at any of the hundreds (thousands?) of travel agents in the country. Plus, the agents manage to get the visas processed in the same amount of time and with less hassle. The Vietnam embassy is an exercise in frustration and is best avoided.

If you choose to apply for a Vietnam visa at the embassy, you’ll need a visa application form (available at the embassy or you can fill it out in advance online), your planned date of entry, your passport and a passport photo (here’s where to get passport photos in Phnom Penh)

At the Vietnam embassy or consulates, visas cost:
1-month single-entry visa: $40
1-month multiple-entry visa: $50
3-month single-entry visa: $60
3-month multiple-entry visa: $75

Processing time is one working day (although this can sometimes end up being two working days), and the three-month multiple-entry visa takes longer. They offer same-day or next-day processing for an additional $10. Be aware that the consulate is closed for all Cambodia and Vietnam holidays (and there are lots of them) so factor that into your visa planning.

If you apply through a travel agent, you do not need a visa application form or a photo. Prices fluctuate and seem slightly negotiable.

In Phnom Penh, Cina Travel near the riverside is a good choice for getting your visa to Vietnam. For $52, they can even get you a one-month single-entry visa in two hours, provided you bring your passport to them in the morning, and including a passport photo will make processing time faster. Cina Travel is able to get 3-month multiple-entry visas with no problem.

For 2-day processing, they quoted us:
1-month single entry visa: $42
1-month multiple entry visa: $53
3-month single entry visa: $56
3-month multiple entry visa: $80 (takes three days, Vietnam address is required; for an extendable 3-month visa a letter of invitation is required and the cost is an additional $5)

Another option is expat favorite for visa and license issues, Lucky! Lucky! Motorcycle Shop.

For 2-day processing, they quoted us:
1-month single-entry visa: $42
1-month multiple-entry visa: $55
3-month single entry visa: $58
3-month multiple entry visa: $85 (this will take 3 days rather than two and an address in Vietnam is required)

They can have your visa ready the same day for an additional $15.

In Siem Reap, Sopheak Na Travel is the most popular place in town for Vietnam visas. Visas take one day, but you can pay extra for same-day processing.

1-month single-entry visa: $40
1-month multiple-entry visa: $75
3-month single entry visa: $60
3-month multiple entry visa: $95 (2 day and an address in Vietnam is required)

Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam

Cina Travel

129Eo Street 130, Psar Cha, Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
T: 023 998 775; 023 998 774

88 Responses to How to get a visa for Vietnam in Cambodia

Newer Comments →
  1. vdude83 says:

lucky lucky mporcycle is a pure face looking rip off, typically practice in cambodia. similar as those tuk tuks. went there today for a single 30 days visa for vn, and they quoted $48.

me: no way, vn visa is $25 now and everybody says you only cost $42.
    the boss lady: $42 was last year, now is
    me: the visa price went down at the end of november, you raise the price in 1 month?
    the bosd lady: sir, i can give you $47.
    me: forget it (took my passport and walked out)
    the boss lady chased out: sir, $46, $46 okay?
    me: walked away.

then i walked for another 1 km something, toward the other shop that reviewed above for also charging $42 for the same visa. i wont say the name, you have to read the article.

me: Hi, i need a 30 days single entry to vn, how much?
    the receptionist took out the price chart, and show me it is $42: sir, $42.
    me: ok, here is my passport.

not to mentioned, the second place has professional looking staff, and a.well established office.

i still havent got my visa yet, will pick up at 5pm in tomorrow. will update any results then.

• Lina says:

The last time I called to check the price at Lucky Lucky was Dec 30th, so maybe they raised their prices the next day (doubtful). It always depends on who you talk to there, and the prices change all the time. Where did you get $25 from? Even at the embassy it’s $40.

• vdude83 says:

i’m a vn origin but have been living in usa for a long long time now. about the procedures to enter vn, here are a few things:

1. Letter of approval ($8-$17), Some travel agency in vn could get that for $8 at cost if the owner is your friend or take a liking in you. If not, the normal rate is $12 and they make $4 in profits. outside the country the cost is $12, and visa agency charge you $17, they make $5 in profits. whether ou do a single entry visa or 3 months multiple entry, the approval letter cost is the same.
        2. visa stamp ($25)

so basically, a visa to vn take between $33-$42 for a 30 days single entry visa. for approval letter, you cant do it by yourself but has to be through either an agency or an embassy.

also, when you get your visa at the embassy, they charge you $40 but they pocket the $7 for themselve (the embassy staff has to pay people in ha noi $8 instead of $12). when you use an agency, the fees are splitted as follow:

$8 for hanoi.
        $4 for embassy.
        $5 for agency.

thats why i believe a place that jacked up the price to $48 (which is $23 over the $25 visa stamp fee instead of a regular $17), then bargain down a dollar or two as you walk away, is by all mean, ripping people off. they remind me of tuk tuk drivers.

why do i know these? i know people who work for the govt in vn. why didnt i ask them for help? because i dont want to owe them a favor for just a few bucks.

• Lina says:

vdude83, I had no idea it worked like that. So even at the embassy they are procuring fake letters of invitation of everyone? What purpose do the letters serve if they are all manufactured by travel companies, etc?

• vdude83 says:

actually the letter of invitation and approval letter are the same thing and are required by ha noi. people at the embassy has no say on this. only that when you apply straight from them, they get a bigger share (no agency share), and get a $2 discount.

as for the approval letter or invitation letter? they are just excuse by those crooks in ha noi.

i have another trick if you have to pay like $80 or $90 for a 30 days visa as some people states below. it cost only $42 and you can apply at any vnese embassies around the world. i’ll make a separate post on this.

2. Alex says:

My one year multi entry work visa expires 1 march 2016. I live in Vung Tau city VN currently. I was thinking about taking a bus to Cambodia and returning. Can you tell me if this is possible for visa renewal?

3. Ben says:

Hi everyone,

I’m going to HCMC in 2 weeks for a long weekend (Meak Bochea Day, 20-22. Feb.). Does anyone know how the Tet festival is going to affect procedures at the Vietnam Embassy in Phnom Penh? Would it be better to wait until the holiday is over with my application?

• Ben says:

Just dropped off my passport at the embassy. The queues were outrageous, I guess some people had to wait for up to 1 hour. Going early is key here.
        But once it’s your turn, the process is straightforward: Submit your passport, the application and 1 photo + the visa fee (3 month single entry is 50$ as well, by the way). You get a receipt and they tell you when to come back.
        The visa office was open for two days during Tet, however they asked for a 15$ holiday-surcharge.

• Lina says:

Thanks for the report, Ben. I asked them a month ago and the price was $60 for a 3-month single-entry visa. I’m surprised it’s changed again! Officially, the office is closed during Tet. Oh, Cambodia.

4. howard smith says:

Hi Lina, I need to apply at the Vietnam Embassy for TT type visa which I will need before applying for a Visa Exemption Certificate when I get back to Vietnam Can I get same day processing for a higher fee as with tourist visas?

5. carina says:

I’m from the Philippines.
    I’ll be visiting Siem Reap and will be moving to Phnom Pehn after. Do you have any idea on how to secure Vietnamese Visa from Phnom Pehn?

Thank You!

6. Angelo says:

Help needed. Just a question. Can I get one urgent visa for vietnam on Saturday in any of the sites advertised here? I will arrive in Phom Penh Friday afternoon and would like to leave on Sunday. Also, is it possible to get a visa for Vietnam in Siem Reap?

7. Jean says:

Hey, thanks for the info! Would like to add however that not all travel agents are created equal. I was just quoted $150 to get a multiple entry 3 month visa. I went to another place where originally she said $85 and then increased the price another 2 times. Is it really that much more difficult to just do it yourself? I’m going to give it a try!

8. Bill says:

As of January 7, 2016, the Vietnamese Legation in New York City is quoting a per-person charge of $80.00 US for a 1-month visa, plus $30.00 US if you want it the same day.

9. Mina says:

Hi! Im from Sweden, meaning I dont need a visa to Vietnam if Im only staying less than 15 days. Im going to spend 10 days only in Vietnam and Im going to take the bus from Phnom Penh. According to Vietnamese rules I wont be needing a visa, but will it still by a problem at the border since Im travelling by bus and not plane?

10. Kim Vuth says:

Thank you so much for writing about Cina Travel ( Vietnamese visa ) in your blog.

I would like to give you an update that the prices of the Vietnamese visa decreased now.

For the 02 days processing :
    1 month single entry : 42USD
    1 month multiple entry : 53USD
    03 month single entry : 56USD

For 03 month multiple entry, takes 03 working days and it costs 80USD. The address in Vietnam is required.

They can pay extra to get the visa done within 02 hours. 01 month single is 55USD, 01 month multiple-65USD, 03 month single-68USD. For fast service, one photo (size:4x6cm ) is required.

I would really appreciate if you could update these information in your blog.

11. Alice says:

Hi Lina,
    I am a korean passport holder, I came to Hochimin on 16/10 with free less than 15days visa ending 31/10.
    I am hoping to go to Cambodia and during this two weeks period and come back to Hochimin to be board on 03/Nov flight back to korea.
    Will I possibly do come back to Hochimin with two weeks free visa via overland from Cambodia or Do I have to get a visa while I am in Cambodia?

12. Kate says:

Hi, I’m a Nigerian passport holder. I live and work in Siem Reap. I would like to know how to get a Vietnam visa from here.

13. June says:

Hi Lina,

Just want you to know that your article is very helpful and most updated one. I just want to ask, there are three (3people) of us staying now in Vietnam and our visa is about to expire. We are planning to exit the country and avail another 3 months visa in Sihanoukville. Is it possible to have lesser price since we travel in 3??? Another thing, we are from the Philippines and I am not sure if we are allowed to re enter Vietnam after 2days of exiting. Please help us.

Hoping for positive reply,

• Lina says:

Hi June, I’m sorry, I am really not an expert on Vietnam visas, particularly for other nationalities. I do know that the price is not negotiable, and you will not get a discount because there are three of you. Good luck!

14. Oscar says:

Ello, very interesting blog! If you give your passport for a couple of days to get the vietnamese visa in PP to Lucky Lucky or Cina, do you know what kind of identification do you have while they get your visa?

15. Grace Wallace says:

Hi – A friend and I are traveling from Phnom Penh to Vietnam by bus and are in a pinch with our Vietnam visas. We will be arriving to Phnom Penh around 5:30 p.m. on Monday and were wanting to leave on Tuesday to take the bus to Saigon. Anyone have experience using Lucky Lucky with the one hour visas? Is it reliable? Is it really possible? We are just a little skeptical and don’t want to be stuck in Phnom Penh with limited options. Thanks!

16. Hi, I going to get a vietnamese visa in either Batambang or Sianukwile. The most important thing for me and that what i hope, is the visa on separated piece of paper due to unavailability of space in my passport. As for 2009 I got a such visa in Sianukwile, so I would be thankful if someone have a info about this.
    Thanks in advance!

17. Bernd W Neumann says:

Hi. If I come from a visa free entry country, say Germany, how will I get into Vietnam? Can I take a bus or do I have to take the plane?

18. Bene says:

I plan to go to Vietnam overland from Cambodia at the end of the month. Is it really necessary to have a Vietnamese visa beforehand? Can’t we get it at the border? I won’t be staying in Phnom Penh more than 1 day, so this is tricky…

19. Jackie john says:

Hi, I’m arriving in S/R on 13 of February 2015, travelling down to P/P on 22 February staying 3 days, I am hoping to then go to Vietnam( overland)but am worried that I won’t be able to get a visa in time as it’s Chinese New Year.? Will travel agents be open and be able to get one in a day?

20. Mark says:

Hi there, my vietnamese visa expires on Feb. 28 (just after TET) and I’m thinking of doing a visa run to PP to get a new Vietnamese visa. I heard that there has been big changes regarding the cost of Viet visa. Does it only apply for visas being delivered in Vietnam or also for the ones delivered in Cambodia and abroad? If the price changed, how much is it now from the embassy or Lucky Lucky visa? I’m looking for either 3 months single or multiple entry.

21. Hey guys-
    -just wondering, as some flights are cheaper from Saigon, whether or not it’s possible to get a transit visa for a day or two in order to fly out and back in again. Anyone have any experience with this?

22. Thanks for the advice! We have been pouring over info about getting our VN visa, but are now confident enough to leave it until we reach PP. Was hearing a lot of different, outdated info, but now this is one less thing we need to worry about. And it seems a lot cheaper than organizing it while we’re here in Australia :)

23. Lehar says:

Hey Lina.
    We are travelling in January from Cambodia to Vietnam overland. We are from Estonia and we have a huge question.. Do we need some kind of approval letter for applying Vietnam visa at Vietnam embassy in Cambodia or at this Lucky Lucky shop. I understand that we need this approval letter only when we travel Vietnam by plane.
    This is very complicated issue because there are different kind of opinions in the Internet and we are a bit of hurry with that issue.
    Also I wanted to know is this Lucky! Lucky! shop is reliable place to get our visas.

• Lina says:

Lucky Lucky is reliable. I don’t know the rules for someone from Estonia, you should just give Lucky Lucky a call and they can tell you what’s required.

24. N.A. says:

I’ll be traveling by land to Vietnam from Phnom Penh.
    I’m currently in Singapore. How expensive will it be to get a visa beforehand here at their Vietnamese embassy and will it be expensive?

Is it cheaper to get a Visa on Arrival if I were to fly into Vietnam? What are the prices?

25. Rachel says:

Hi Lina
    Can you tell me is it possible to organise a visa whilst in Siem Reap with a travel agent there as we will be in P Penn at the weekend…

26. Muhammad Aisf says:

I am planning to visit Cambodia in December need to know that we don’t have embassy of Vietnam and Laos in Pakistan.can I apply both countries visa in you know any travel agency dealing with Pakistani passport.

• Lina says:

I’ve used before, but since moving to Cambodia I get the visa at a travel agent here because it’s cheaper and more convenient (no waiting around once I arrive in Vietnam). Also, you need a visa in advance if you plan to travel to Vietnam overland.

• K.D says:

Hi Lina,

Thanks for the info.

Just a quick question, does the visa differ if you are travelling into Vietnam from Cambodia by land?

• Lina says:

Only difference is that if you travel by plane, you can get the visa-in-advance service that you pick up at the airport. You can’t do that if you are traveling overland, but everything else is the same.

Newer Comments →