In the last post about fun things to do for kids in Phnom Penh we covered arts and crafts activities and performing arts activities. In this installment, we’ve got a round-up of sports and active things younger kids and teens can do in Phnom Penh to burn off some extra energy. We’ve tried to include the most up-to-date information, but due to the pandemic some businesses may have other restrictions.
Explore and Play
Coconut Park has an “Explore and Play” after-school or weekend program for kids 6 to 8 and 9 to 12 going on now. The sessions include lots of physical activity as well as arts, and will give kids the chance to try lots of different sports and activities rather than focusing on just one. Spaces are limited, and can be reserved online.
- After-school weekday sessions starting August 31st: Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30 to 5 p.m. or Wednesday and Friday, 3:30 to 5 p.m.; Cost $120 for five weeks, twice a week.
- Weekend sessions: Morning, 9 to 11:30 a.m., Afternoon, 12:30 to 3 p.m., or Full-Day Session, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Cost $95 for half-day session or $145 for full-day session (with $25 optional lunch charge) for 5 weeks.
Fly Phnom Penh
Located at the Factory, Fly Phnom Penh is a trampoline park with activities for all ages. During the school year they run a “Fly After School Program” with fitness, gymnastics and trampoline every Monday afternoon. Gymnastics classes on weekends are also available.*
- Regular 1-hour jump sessions are bookable every day. The cost is $6 for kids and $8 for adults, plus $2 for “trampoline socks” that can be reused at later sessions. flyphnompenh.com
Elite Soccer Coaching
If you’ve ever wondered if toddlers can play soccer (football), the answer is an unequivocal yes. Elite Soccer Coaching Cambodia offers programs from age two — called “mini-kickers” to adult, with classes for children in 6 different age brackets. They have weekly soccer school as well as weekend programs, and also offer one-to-one coaching and holiday programs. Check out their Facebook page for programs that are going on now. elitesoccer-coaching.com/cambodia
CIS Roller Dome
Canadian International School‘s Roller Dome inside Coconut Park is a roller-skating rink that offers public skating, figure skating, and inline hockey classes for kids and adults, and inline freestyle skating classes. There are monthly, quarterly, or half-yearly memberships available as well as stamp cards for extra savings. There are also two studios offering Taekwondo and Zumba classes.
At the current time all indoor skating and classes are closed due to covid restrictions, but the rates below are the standard rates for when they are able to reopen.* facebook.com/CISRollerDome
- Public skating: Tuesday to Friday, $6 for juniors (under 150 cm), $8 for all others; Weekends, $8 for juniors (under 150 cm), $10 for all others
- Drop-in classes: Inline hockey $12; Figure skating $10; Slalom/Freestyle $10
Coconut Park Bike Park
For beginners to advanced riders, Coconuts Bike Park is great fun for children. They’ve got outdoor mountain bike trails, as well as bicycle-riding lessons for those who are still learning. They’re also available for private bookings for up to 7 people.
- Bike park hire $5/hr, mountain bike hire $4. facebook.com/CoconutParkPhnomPenh
1CoachAndy Sports Academy Cambodia
Coach Andy offers a number of different fun sports classes including football and basketball, as well as a weekend sports club with trampoline, climbing, and much more in a variety of locations. Due to Covid restrictions, please check to see what is currently available. facebook.com/1COACHANDYS
Cambodian Country Club
Even if you’re not a member, you can take advantage of some of the activities for kids at the Cambodian Country Club including Pony Club and Tennis Club.
Pony Club: CCC has what they bill as Phnom Penh’s only Equestrian Center, with 30 horses and ponies. They offer lessons for all ages and levels of ability. They also have a horse-riding club specifically for kids ages 5 to 12, which teaches beginning riders about horses, grooming, and riding.
- Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Wednesday 3 to 5 p.m. Cost is $30 for members and $35 for non-members. cambodian-country-club.com/equestrian-centre
Tennis Club: The Cambodian Country Club also hosts a Tennis Club for beginning tennis players ages 5 to 12. Every Saturday kids can learn to play tennis and make friends in the process.
- Saturdays 10 to 11 a.m. Cost is $8 for members, $13 for non-members. cambodian-country-club.com
*At the time of writing, a number of activities were operating on limited schedules or have cancelled classes. In some cases, businesses have listed themselves as “closed permanently” due to the pandemic, however many hope to reopen (in the same form or new business) should the situation improve. Please check to make sure they’re open before heading over.