Despite the pandemic, there is never a shortage of fun activities for kids in Phnom Penh. While Covid-19 has certainly had a huge impact on businesses and families, it has also seen the creation of a plethora of new child-friendly activities. In this series we’ll cover some of the new and exciting things to do, as well as some long-time kid favorites. In this first post, we’ll cover arts and crafts activities and performing arts classes in Phnom Penh.
Arts and Crafts
Fun and messy arts and crafts activities and classes have popped up around Phnom Penh catering for toddlers and older kids alike.
Kids Art Club by Sra’Art was created to help little ones improve their social skills, make new friends, and nurture their imaginations. Classes are for ages 3 to 12, and all materials are included in the fee.
- Sra’Art gallery: Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., 3:30 and 4:30 p.m.; $6 per session; facebook.com/sraartstudio
- Botanico Wine and Beer Garden: Saturdays at 10 and 11 a.m.; $8 per session; facebook.com/botanicowineandbeergarden
- Cambodian Country Club: Saturdays at 9, 10, and 11 a.m, ;$10 per session; facebook.com/cambodian.country.club
Paint Your Own Ceramics at Ceramik Art Studio
A fun activity for kids and adults. Located within Coconut Park and available for private bookings of up to 7 people, or drop in and paint any time. Re-opening from August 13th.
- Drop-in and paint: Wednesday to Sundays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; prices for studio time is $3-4/hour, plus the cost of the item you choose to paint, $3-30
- Sunday Summer Sessions, with a different workshop for all ages every week: Sunday 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; $25-28 for a 2-hour session
Messy Process Art at Make It
Make-It Arts & Crafts offers Messy Process Art for toddlers (walking to 4 year old) plus other art classes. They are currently accepting groups of 3 to 6 children for private classes. If you don’t already have a group of kids, join this Facebook group to find other parents and kids who are interested. Children must come with a parent or supervisor.
- Classes are available Tuesdays and Fridays 9 to 9:45 a.m. and 10 to 10:45 a.m.; Classes are offered on a weekly basis for a calendar month. The price is $20 for 4 sessions.
Coconut Club art workshops at Coconut Park
Art workshops and classes are available on a drop-in basis at Coconut Park, but registration is encouraged as the classes are limited to 10 participants. The price includes supervision, materials, and an art instructor.
- Drop-in art studio for kids ages 2 to 12: Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
$14/hour, book online
- Drop-in and paint for kids 12+ and adults: Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; $35 for two hours, book online
Performing arts and music
There are a wide variety of performing arts and music classes and activities in Phnom Penh, and some are offering online classes as well during the pandemic. Others are currently suspended due to government-mandated Covid restrictions, but we’ve included them here for when they’re back up and running.
Violin Lessons with Sharon Liu are available online via Zoom during Covid restrictions (with a 50% discounted rate until 31st August 2021)
Star Magic Dance Studio offers children’s dance classes including ballet, zumba for kids, and acrobatics. Classes are online-only at the moment, but they intend to be back in the studio as soon as it’s safe. (And they also have classes for adults!)
Brighton Stage is a performing arts school for children aged 4 to 18. The school offers fun and professional classes in acting, singing and dancing. They are current suspended due to Covid restrictions, but they will be back to offering performing arts classes as soon as they are able to.
Making Music Classes with Jessica Van Ord at Srornos Music School in BKK1. Jessica usually offers in-person classes with sessions for infants and toddlers up to 3 years old which are 45 minutes for $7, and classes for children ages 3 to 6 which are 60 minutes for $12. You can buy a book of classes for a discounted rate.
The in-person classes are currently closed due to Covid restrictions, but Jessica is trying out online making music classes for children up to 6 years old. They’re free this week only, so be sure to check them out.
Ocarina French Music School of Phnom Penh usually offers music classes in drum, piano and guitar for children from 3 years old, in addition to a “Music Awakening” program for toddlers. Classes are available in French and English. Due to Covid restrictions, only private instruction classes are available currently.